Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Journey

"Don't Stop Believing...Hold on to the Fee-e-ah-ling" Sing it with me now!

Last week I told you a little about my health journey in my About Me page (check it out!). I also mentioned that we had two Christmas parties this weekend along with many temptations in the office that have been taunting me this month.

I was reminded yesterday that being healthy and fit is a journey. It's something I must work towards every day in order to see results, and my hard work can easily be undone with just a few meals without focus. 

This weekend I definitely lost focus.

I went in to the weekend knowing I had worked hard all week and watched my food intake closely. I had a 10 mile maintenance run to do at some point over the weekend, but unlike normal, I was laid back about when and where. As it turns out "when you fail to plan, you plan to fail" was true for me. I mistook spontaneity for laziness. I didn't do my run, and my sweet tooth ate it's little heart out. 

I won't bore you with the details of my decadent indulgences, but let's just stay it started Saturday morning with a trip to Chik-Fil-A (gross, right?) and ended Sunday night with Mellow Mushroom delivery. The in between mostly consisted of chocolate and cookies. Seriously? What has gotten in to me? 

I mentioned before that I keep a food log. This is something that my personal trainer has asked me to do, and she reads it every week. She's used to seeing a few extra treats on the weekend, but we both agreed that this weekend was atrocious. 

We took a few minutes to talk about my fitness and health goals. I asked her if my goal weight was really possible. After all,  I've been working hard for (nearly) a year, my weight has been in a plateau for months, my body fat percentage is fairly low, and I work out very hard 5-6 days a week. Was this goal really attainable for me?

She said it was, but that it would take a different level of commitment. To make my goal possible I would have to change the way I think about food, mainly sugar. Sugar is very addictive, and I am indeed addicted. When I have something sweet, I crave something else sweet. I can feel a difference in my body, yet the temporary enjoyment seems worth it at that moment. I mean, let's be honest. Sugar tastes amazing. 

So today I am reflecting on my journey thus far. I'm looking at my daily habits, my weekly routine, and my occasional (ok, lately they've been daily) indulgences. I'm asking myself where I want this journey to go. Is having sweets completely out of my life realistic for me? Is life worth living without an occasional cookie? 

Like everything else in my life, I think I should at least try it before I write it off. So let's do this. No sweets for one week. This week may be more difficult than all of the weeks of my journey thus far combined. Who's with me?

And just as I go to hit publish I get this photo in my inbox from a coworker with the title "Have Some Holiday Treats - Come on over." Really?


I'm not going over to that desk.

Guilt laden, I started Monday off on the right foot, with a quick 7 miles at 4:15 am and ended it with a food log entry that looks like this:


And let's keep it looking that good this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment